Sometimes, we never know what we’re going to get for winter weather in Ontario. One temperature fluctuation can be met with a snowstorm on a day to day basis. So, when it comes to driving during Ontario winters, having the right tire is crucial. From black ice to heavy snowfall, it is imperative to equip your car with snow tires.
Here are five reasons why we think you should equip your vehicle with snow tires:
- Snow tires are designed to help deliver control and safety in rain, slush, ice, snow and cold weather.
- On snow, ice or cold pavement, the stopping distance of a car with winter tires can be up to 30 to 40 per cent shorter than one with all-seasons.
- Snow tires consist of a rubber compound designed to stay soft in low to freezing temperatures. This rubber is formulated to produce grip. This along with a tread pattern that is oriented to clench snow, cold pavement or even ice.
- The key to understanding snow tires is to understand that it is about temperature, not about the snow itself. Winter tires should be installed when temperatures are expected to fall below 7 degrees Celsius. it is imperative to understand that when the temperature falls the rubber in summer or all-season tires will become inflexible. This will kill traction.
- It is important that you always install winter tires in matching sets of 4. This will help maintain controlled and balanced handing in winter driving conditions. Along with this, it is necessary to maintain correct air pressure.
BONUS: if you have certified snow tires on your vehicle you are eligible for a 3-5% discount on your insurance policy!