The forecast for the next few days is calling for some wicked winter weather! If you can, stay put and stay cozy with a warm tea or hot coco, and take a few minutes to gather the supplies you may need to ride out the storm.
Winter Storm Tips:
- Make sure you have a snow shovel to keep walkways and sidewalks clear and safe.
- Prepare for a power outage due to high winds and precipitation by preparing a home emergency kit with basic items such as a flashlight, battery-operated radio, food that doesn’t require cooking or refrigeration, water, medications, and blankets.
- Practice fire safety. Winter is a busy season for fires in Canada, so make sure to have working smoke alarms and don’t leave candles or woodstoves burning unattended.
- Stay cozy and stay inside. If you do need to head out, dress in warm layers, winter footwear, and do not overexert yourself.
- If you’re planning to hit the road, exercise extreme caution by lowering your speed, removing snow and ice from your vehicle, and keeping a safe distance from others on the road. You should also have an emergency vehicle kit handy and only drive vehicles that have a full tank of gas and snow tires.