May 21, 2023

Cottage Season Is Here! Protect Your Home Away from Home

Did you know that how you use your cottage or vacation home affects the type of insurance you need?

Cottage insurance is not quite the same as home insurance, and having the coverage you need to protect your home away from home depends on a number of factors, including whether you’re a seasonal or a year-round user.

Cottage Insurance Your Way

Both seasonal and year-round cottage-owners can choose insurance coverage based on their specific needs. Year-round (winterized) users can insure their cottage as a second home under a Broad Coverage policy, which provides extended protection and includes coverage for detached buildings, like a boathouse or shed, as well as your belongings. Seasonal users can enjoy peace of mind with a “named-perils” policy, which covers only the risks you want to protect, like your cottage and belongings. There’s also the option to add protection for seasonal detached buildings like a bunkie.

And, if you rent out your cottage or vacation home, there’s special insurance coverage available to protect you from risks such as:

  • Financial loss
  • Personal liability
  • Limited owner’s liability coverage for insured watercraft.*

Don’t forget to ask us about any discounts you may qualify for, like being claims-free or a certain age. Contact our experienced team of brokers to learn more.

*Terms and conditions apply.